Driven to get results!

What to do when charged with underage drinking

On Behalf of | May 11, 2023 | Criminal Defense |

When you are in high school or college, you may be arrested for little mistakes. Unfortunately, there is nothing like a “minor” crime. Any charge can have significant consequences, and one of them is underage drinking. 

Pennsylvania laws are strict when it comes to underage drinking. Anyone caught drinking below 21 years may be charged with this crime. If this happens, here is what you should do.

Call your parents

Undeniably, calling your parents after a charge involving alcohol may be the last thing on your mind. However, it helps to call them to get you the help you need. This can be challenging, but staying quiet and waiting for the case to unfold may worsen issues. Besides, your parents may eventually learn about the charge. Thus, it’s better to inform tell them than them hearing about it from another source.

Nonetheless, even though this is helpful, you should be careful about your parents’ suggestions. They love and care about you – they may want you to get the case over with to return to your life. But this may not be the best option. If they suggest paying the fine, you discuss with them why you should fight. Pleading guilty and paying fines will put a conviction on your record, and this can affect your future in numerous negative ways. 

Since the state is strict about underage drinking, it’s crucial to get legal guidance if you’re a teen who has been charged with underage drinking. There are often paths of defense available that can help minimize the negative consequences of the situation so that you can get back to your life.